About Me

My photo
My name is Stephanie Fitzpatrick. I am now in my 30's and living in Central KY with my hubby Tyler, and our crazy, adorable poodle, Rolen. I am a Christian and am so thankful to my Savior. He's has blessed me beyond what I deserve. I love cooking, baking, and traveling. Grand Cayman is our favorite beach, and Disney World is the BEST place on Earth! Been TTC since 2015. We have had 2 successful Embryo Transfers through IVF, but sadly my first pregnancy ended at 20 weeks when I went into preterm labor and we lost our son. This blog is a little insight into our IVF journey, plus possibly recipes, ramblings, home projects and whatever else I fancy.

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Good For You Pumpkin Bread

I LOVE pumpkin!  As we head towards fall, I thought I would share this recipe that I dreamed up the other day. This is a healthy pumpkin bread recipe.  It's vegan, although I am not.  I have tried to replace the unhealthy fats and add some things that are a little better for you. The result is a moist, dense bread and it's pretty delish!

Here are our ingredients for today:
1 c. whole wheat flour
1/4 c. almond flour/meal
1/4 c. ground flax meal
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 T. potato starch
1/2 c. egg beaters
1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce 
1/4 c. almond milk
2/3 c. agave
1 c. pumpkin puree, NOT pie filling
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. allspice
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon

So before we begin, if you are not familiar with almond flour, flax meal or potato starch, let me tell you about them.  Ground Flax Meal is ground up flax, which is very good for you. You can use it to replace 1/4 - 1/2 c of flour in baking recipes.  You also can use it to replace eggs and fats.  Almond Flour is flour is skinless, blanched, finely ground almonds.  It's low in carbs and a good source of protein, fiber, vitamin E and magnesium. Potato starch helps in baking to make a moist crumb.  All of these Items are Gluten Free and can normally be found in the baking section with the allergen free baking items.
                             
                               Pre-heat your oven to 350 while you are mixing everything together.
             Start by whisking the dry ingredients (the first six off the list) together in a medium sized bowl.

       In the bowl of your stand mixer, add all of the wet ingredients, and mix until they are well combined.

Slowly add small amounts of the dry to the wet. Once all of the dry mixture is added, scrap down the sides  of your bowl and mix for a minute longer to make sure everything is well combined.Add your spices very  last.  Spray a loaf pan lightly with some Pam, and spread the batter evenly. 


Bake for 50 minutes. I use the knife test to check if things are done. Remember not to over bake...things continue to cook once they come out of the oven.

                                                          Enjoy!  Steph :)


No comments:

Post a Comment